Friday, February 03, 2006

Gonna Soak Up the Sun

I'm so excited because I'm going to Boracay island and in the words of Sheryl Crow "I'm gonna soak up the sun; I'm gonna tell everyone to lighten up". I can't believe that in 7 days my sister Clare will be here and we will be going on holiday to a beautiful resort for a much needed rest and relaxation away from my work here in Manila. It's unbelievably not only going to be the first time in over seven months that I will see one of my family but also the first and probably only time that I will meet another British person. The cultural difference here is really overwhelming, it's hard to believe how people can think and feel so differently about so many things. One of the things I read about and in the DVI information pack was the culture shock that volunteers feel not only when they depart but also when they return. This has been on my mind a lot recently especially since it's only two months until I return to England now. I wonder how I will react to being around familiar sights and sounds, tastes and textures again. I'll be sure to let you know when I find out.
Keep in touch and keep praying,
In Christ through Mary,
Daniel